Today I am 35. For the past 3 birthdays I've posted a photo of myself and written a list about myself, well, one year I just did a photo because I think I was only posting photos in May. I guess I'll keep with the tradition and tell you more about myself than you ever wanted to know, which is getting kind of tough considering the amount of time I've had this blog. Trying not to repeat what I've already said is a challenge!
- I'm not too excited about my birthday this year. The last time I felt this way was at 29.
- I'm perfectly happy with celebrating at home with Matt & the kids with some cake & ice cream (and maybe a margarita).
- This is the first year that I've felt old (i think a recent trip to the mall has everything to do with it...and this nagging pain in my hip that won't go away).
- I much prefer my 35 year old self over my 25 year old self - there's no way I'd go back in time.
- Cute shoes still make me happy (they're on the list every year).
- Ruby sleeps next to me every night, much to Matt's dismay.
- I love french food and anything with beurre blanc.
- I've been obsessed with white jeans this season. I finally found the perfect pair for me here (I'm wearing them today!).
- I always have knitting in my bag.
- And a notebook to jot down ideas.
- I love adding nuts to a salad, especially candied pecans.
- I'm more comfortable in my own skin now than I ever have been.
- I only recently accepted the fact that I'm a creative person.
- I love that my girls & I all have birthdays in May, but I hate when mine falls on Mother's Day.
- I take my rings off the moment I get home.
- And my shoes, too.
- I *heart* 80's music.
- I prefer quality over quantity in most situations.
- I wish Matt and I had more time to spend together. These are definitely the busy years of our lives!
- I can't stomach cilantro or blue cheese. If both were in the same dish I might die.
- I believe in the power of a good, supportive bra.
- I have stacks and stacks of magazines under my bed.
- I'm having my wisdom teeth pulled in a few weeks and I'm NOT looking forward to it! My dentist advises having this done before 30. oops.
- Auntie Mame is one of my favorite movies. I haven't seen it in years, but I think it's time I introduced her to my kids.
- I don't drink nearly enough water.
- I really enjoy cooking, but get tired of coming up with supper ideas.
- I am NOT a planner, but not having a plan makes me nervous.
- Those gummy fruit snacks that I buy for the kids are my guilty pleasure. I love those things and sometimes eat more than the kids, though Ava would polish off a whole box if I let her.
- I love fruity candy. Green skittles are my favorite.
- This year while I am 35 my mom is 53 (yep, she was young when she had me).
- I can't stand wearing ill fitting clothes, either too big or too small. It makes me feel sloppy.
- I'm terrible at returning emails & phone calls.
- I don't think there's anything wrong with making an entire meal out of chips & salsa. It can be nicely rounded out with guacamole & queso (and a margarita).
- I love furniture with chipped, peeling paint.
- I rearrange the stuff in my house often. Of course, I always think the latest arrangement is the best, until I get tired of it and change things up again.
Good grief, that was hard! I may have to rethink this tradition for next year - these lists won't get any easier, that's for sure. If you're curious about my previous lists or what I looked like in past years, I dug them out for you: 34, 33, 32, at 31 I had just given birth to Ava and my birthday fell on Mother's Day, so there was no post on the topic, just a mention a few days after (don't click that link unless you want to read about breastfeeding woes) - I'm sure I could hardly think straight at that point!
I may not be feeling it, but I'm going to have a good day. Why not? It's my birthday AND it's Friday!
(maybe I'll get a remote for my camera so that I can stop taking self portraits in the mirror, though I do like the glowy light effect of the lamps that hide the fine lines on my face that are multiplying like rabbits these days)