I got sucked in. No, that wasn't the plan. It all started with the idea to make a valentine pillow, cotton jersey reverse applique Alabama Chanin style. I made my stencil, cut it out with my new cutting tool (fancy exacto knife that i don't know the proper name of), then went to town. It came out much, much better than I expected. I was so pleased with it that I had to make another (of course!!).
This time I went with "love". After wasting too much time searching through free fonts to get it just right, I gave up and made my own. I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place. It's funny how you look at things like font differently when your purpose is to make a stencil out of it. I didn't love this one as much, so I had to try again.
How about a rose? A red rose. Yes, that seemed like a good idea. And it was.
That rose naturally evolved into another flower inspired by that anthropologie pillow that so many of us are gaga over. This time I got a little crazy. I strayed from my usual formula by adding a third fabric. Sewing through three layers of cotton jersey isn't so different than two. The only tricky part was making sure that I was cutting away the right layer, but it wasn't so hard. I think the key to this type of work is having super sharp scissors. Needless to say, I'm pretty much in love with this one.
You're probably wondering what I plan to do with these...I don't know! I told the girls that they can put them on their bed, but I don't think they need 4!! And the sad part is that I want to make more. Now my wheels are turning on what I can make next!