It's that time again, time to plan for some spring dresses (yes, i'm already sick of winter!!). I do it every year, declare that it will be 'the year of the dress', but I end up with a dress or two then fizzle out. There's nothing wrong with that, at least I get a dress out of it, but the problem is that I never end up wearing those dresses for some reason or another.
This year is going to be different. Instead of making something I *think* I'll like, I'm going with tried and true - a wrap dress. I love wrap dresses. Wrap dresses work for me, especially if they're made from a jersey knit. Cool, comfortable, dressed up or down, that's my kind of dress. Seeing this dress from Lilly Pulitzer got my wheels turning. As soon as I saw it, I thought "I can make that".
I dug around in my pattern collection and came up with some options.
- McCall's 6163 - I like the raglan sleeves and the collar, but not so much the straight skirt. A definite possibility, but I think I can do better.
- Simplicity 4074 - Another good option, it has the right kind of skirt and the gathers at the shoulder are a plus. I wish it were a true wrap and not a mock.
- Vogue 7693 - I've made this one before. It worked, but I didn't like how the top part is a wrap but the skirt isn't. I guess this is why I never made another one.
- Vogue 8646 - Now this is what I'm looking for. I forgot all about this pattern. It should be easy enough to add a tie to make this a true wrap, and a BIG positive is that it includes adjustments for different cup sizes.
- Vogue 8379 - Oh but wait, this is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. I think I found a winner, BUT I can't find my pattern. I *think* I used it for another dress I started 2 years ago but never finished.
Shoot! Now I'm going to drive myself crazy with this - where in the world is that pattern?? While I'm looking, I might as well finish the dress. All I have left to do is hem it and add the sleeves.
Once I find the pattern (or buy a new one, which I'd rather not do) I'm going to get started. I'm not crazy, this is south Louisiana you know - it may be freezing one day then in the 70's the next. An elbow length sleeve wrap dress will be the perfect layering piece to have in my wardrobe. If all else fails, I'll make Vogue 8646. If the fit is right, I just might make a whole wardrobe of them. Come on Spring, you can't get here soon enough!!!