A week into 2013 and i've already completed a project, AND it's useful. That's a win in my book.
I chose to make mine out of old t-shirts, as we have a plethora of those around here. After Matt cleaned out his closet last week I set aside some of his donations and got to work. It took me longer to cut out my strips of fabric than it did to make the rug.
finished size of the rug is about 23" x 34"
size Q crochet hook (big ole hook!)
about 10 t-shirts, bodies only (I cut a continuous strip from the hem up to the arm)
my strips averaged about 1" wide, though some parts were a little less, others a little more
no pattern followed, to make an oval I added stitches in the end curves, eyeballing it as I went along. It's a bit wonky, but it does the job.
As a bonus, my kids think I'm AMAZING for making it. They're so easily impressed :)